General FAQs

Voting in the 2021 State Election has now closed.


What time can I vote on March 13?

Polling places are open between 8am and 6pm on Saturday 13 March 2021. 


How long will it take to vote in person?

Provided you can be quickly found on the electoral roll the processing time will only be a few minutes. You can then take as long as you need to complete the ballot papers at the voting screen.


I will be in hospital on 13 March 2021 – how can I vote?

You will need to ensure you vote before 13 March at one of our 70 early voting centres. 

Alternatively you can vote by post.


Are you open for voting on any Saturday other than 13 March?

Yes – Many of our early voting centres will be open on Saturday 6 March from 8am to 6pm. 


A member of my family is no longer able to vote due to infirmity or a medical condition- how do I make sure they are not fined?

Contact our call centre on 13 63 06 and explain the circumstances. It may be possible to take their vote at an early voting centre or polling place but with appropriate medical evidence your relative can be excused from voting or removed from the electoral roll. 


My relative is in a nursing home/hospital, how can they vote?

Mobile polling may be available for this institution. Voting for patients only will be conducted at these centres. Family, friends and staff are not able to vote at a Special Institution Voting facility. If this institution is not being included for mobile polling, there are other voting options available apart from attending a polling booth on polling day.


My relative is in prison. Can he/she vote?

Prisoners are entitled to enrol but can only vote in State elections if serving a sentence of less than 1 year.


I will be away from my home on polling day, but still be within close proximity to a polling place. How do I vote?

You can attend any polling place in WA on polling day and vote as an absent voter. This means you will have to give your details, including your address, to a polling official who will establish your correct district. You will be asked to make a declaration before being given your voting papers to complete.


I am over 70. Do I have to vote?

Yes. All people correctly enrolled to vote are obliged to vote. If you can’t get to a polling place on polling day there are a number of other voting options open to you prior to polling day including postal voting and early voting in person.



Postal voting (applications are now closed)
Who can apply for a postal vote?

Anyone who is eligible to vote in a State election may apply for an early vote, either in person or by post. You no longer have to meet specific requirements to vote early. 

Track your postal vote here.


Why was my application for a postal vote rejected?

The Commission will have sent you an email/letter outlining why your application for a postal early vote was rejected. Please note, if you do not complete the hardcopy application form correctly and sign it your application for a postal vote may be rejected. Online applications via the website do not require a signature.


Who can be the required witness for a postal vote declaration?

Anyone over 18 years of age who isn't a candidate can witness an elector’s postal vote declaration.


Can I email my application for a postal vote?

Yes, an email copy is acceptable provided it is a scanned copy including the elector’s signature. We require a copy of the signature for checking against the returned voting papers. Email it to

You must ensure there is adequate time for your application form to be received and processed and then your ballot papers sent out and returned (close of applications for Postal Voting 6pm Wednesday 10 March 2021).


I’ve sent my application for postal voting package but haven’t received anything yet. Is this normal?

As soon as ballot papers are printed the packages will be mailed out. This likely to be after Monday 22 February 2021. 

You can track your postal vote here.

Make sure you check your junk mailbox in case emails are sent to this mailbox. A tracking number is issued to all electors who have applied online or on a hard copy form where they have supplied an email address. Delays in postal delivery are to be expected due to COVID-19 – packages are being sent by priority mail. 


I have completed postal ballot papers and put them in the return envelope- can I drop them into an early voting centre or polling place?

Yes – advise an electoral official at an early voting centre or polling place that you are returning a postal voting package. You do not need to be marked off the roll when you return the package, provided you have completed the declaration attached to the postal voting  return envelope.


In person early voting (now closed)
How can I register to vote early for every election? (General Early Voting)

You can apply for registration as a General Early Voter if:
•    You live more than 20 kms from the nearest polling place
•    You are permanently disabled or seriously ill or infirm 
•    You are caring for a person who is permanently disabled or seriously ill or infirm 
•    Because of religious beliefs you are; 
o    Precluded from attending a polling place
o    For the greater part of the hours of polling day, Saturday 13 March 2021 are precluded from attending a polling place
o    Unable to sign your declaration due to a physical incapacity 
o    You are a silent elector 
o    You are over the age of 70 years
o    You are registered as an overseas elector 

Registration as a General Early Voter means that at every election WAEC will send you an early voter pack including ballot papers and an elector declaration form when they become available to allow you to cast your vote early by post. 

Forms for general early voters can be found here.


Where can I find an early voting centre?

Early voting is now closed.


Do I need to visit an early voting centre in my area?

No – while it may be convenient to choose one close to home you can vote early in person at any early voting centre in Western Australia. You might want to do it close to your workplace or on the way home from work. 


Can I vote in person over the March long weekend?

No – early voting centres are closed between 27 February - 1 March 2021. 


Will there be a queue at early voting centres or polling places?

This depends on what time of the day you visit. Due to COVID-19 social distancing requirements our facilities can only hold a fixed number of electors and staff at any one time so there may be delays. 

If you are able to, choose an off peak time to visit an early voting centre or polling place. For example mid-morning or mid-afternoon are often quieter times.

The voting process
Do I have to accept or use how to vote material provided to me by a political party?

No. Your vote is secret and you can fill the ballot paper out according to your choices. Just make sure you follow the instructions on the ballot paper and fill out the necessary boxes.


Can I fill out a ballot paper for someone else?

No. The only exception is for electors who cannot vote without assistance because they are sight impaired, physically incapacitated or illiterate. In these circumstances the elector can nominate a person to assist the elector.  The nominated person must follow the instructions of the elector and this must be done in the presence of an electoral official (and a scrutineer if present).


What if I make a mistake when filling out my ballot paper?

Take the ballot paper back to the issuing officer who gave it to you and ask for a replacement. 


What if I change my mind after I have placed my ballot paper in the ballot box?

Unfortunately your ballot paper cannot be retrieved once it has been placed in the ballot box.


How can I raise a concern about a political advertisement?

The complaint can be sent by email to or mailed to WAEC GPO Box F316 PERTH WA 6841. You should include a copy of the advertisement with your complaint.



Can I still enrol to vote for the State Election on 11 March 2021?

No - unfortunately the electoral roll closed at 6pm on Thursday 11 February.  However you can still enrol or update your details. This will ensure you're enrolled or up to date for Local Government Elections in October, the Federal Election which must be held by 2022 and the next State General Election in 2025.


Who can enrol to vote?

Any person who is:
•    18 years or over
•    an Australian citizen and
•    lived at their current address (or within the district) for at least one month.

British subjects who are not Australian citizens are eligible if they were on the State roll or a roll of the Commonwealth within the period 26 October 1983 and 25 January 1984 inclusive.

17 year old Australian citizens can provisionally enrol by 11 February 2021. This means that if you turn 18 after the close of rolls, but on or before election day, you can still vote. You must be at least 18 years old to vote.

As the State Election Roll is jointly managed with the Australian Electoral Commission, please find further information here.


Who can’t enrol?

You’re ineligible to enrol if you are:
•    Of unsound mind
•    Not an Australian citizen
•    Have been convicted of treason
•    Are serving a period of imprisonment of more than 1 year
•    17 year olds can enrol provisionally, to vote when they turn 18


I am not an Australian citizen. Can I still enrol and vote?

No. However British subjects who are not Australian citizens may re-enrol for State elections if they were on the State roll within the period 26 October 1983 and 25 January 1984 inclusive or re-enrol for the Commonwealth if they were on the Commonwealth roll on the 25 January 1984. Otherwise you must be an Australian citizen to enrol and vote.

Check your enrolment here.


Do I have to enrol?

Yes. Enrolment is compulsory for those people who are eligible.

Enrol here.


I have changed address. What do I have to do?

If you have lived at the new address for at least one month, complete and submit an enrolment form. Find enrolment forms here.

Be sure to read all the instructions on filling in the form to ensure your enrolment is accepted. Completed forms must be received on or before roll close at 6pm on Thursday 11 February 2021 for your details to be included for this election.


What Electoral District am I enrolled for?

Firstly, you should check you are enrolled - you can check your enrolment here.
Boundary Maps and a postcode and suburb search can be found here.


I have no permanent home. Can I still enrol to vote?

If you are homeless or travelling around Australia, you are eligible to enrol as a no fixed address elector. If you are enrolled on the Federal roll as a no fixed address elector you can vote. Under State legislation, the elector remains on the State electoral roll for the district or region that falls within the AEC division for which they are enrolled. You will need to complete a no fixed address application form. 

Find the no fixed address application here, or from the WAEC or AEC offices.


I don’t want my address shown on the roll. How do I become a silent elector?

To have your address and or name suppressed on the electoral roll you will need to show that having your address and or name appear on the electoral roll places your safety or the safety of your family at risk. 

Find the Silent Elector Registration application form here.


I am overseas and not on the roll. What can I do about my enrolment?

If you are living overseas and are not on the roll, you can’t vote. The Act states that you must be a resident at a Western Australian address for one month before you are entitled to enrol. 


I’m going overseas. Can I remain on the roll?

You can apply to enrol as an overseas elector if you are already enrolled to vote and you intend to return to Australia within 6 years. 

To make an application, use the form named Application for Registration as an Overseas Elector. Find it here. This can also be obtained from AEC and WAEC offices.

If you are overseas for more than 3 months and don’t intend returning to the same address, you may request to be removed from the State Electoral Roll by completing an Overseas Notification Form. Find it here.


What preparations are being made for voting during the pandemic?

See WAEC’s COVID-19 FAQ here.



Contact us
If you have further questions that haven’t been addressed in the COVID-19 or General FAQ – call the Commission’s call centre on 13 63 06 (WA only) or 08 9214 0400. Hours vary, depending on the election timeline. See below.

Dates (2021)


3 February – 10 February 

Monday to Friday – 8.30am to 5pm

11 February (Roll Close)

Thursday – 8.30am to 6pm

12 February – 5 March 

Monday to Friday – 8.30am to 5pm

8 March – 12 March 

Monday to Friday – 8.30am to 6pm

13 March 

Saturday – 8.00am to 6.30pm

15 March – 19 March 

Monday to Friday – 8.30am to 5pm