Removal from the Electoral Roll

Electors can only have their names removed from the electoral roll under certain circumstances. These include when an elector dies, an elector is of unsound mind or an elector is moving overseas permanently or indefinitely.

Deceased elector

The Commission is periodically informed by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages of deceased people in Western Australia. They are then taken off the Electoral Roll. You may like to inform the Commission of a deceased friend or relative earlier.

You will need to provide the Commission with the deceased person’s full name, date of birth, date of death and last enrolled address. You will also need to provide your name, relationship to the deceased, and contact phone number.  

Going overseas

If you are going overseas and believe that you will not be able to vote whilst you are away, then you should complete the overseas notification form (PDF, 56 kB).

This form should be used if you are:

  • going overseas indefinitely/permanently, to request that your name be removed from the electoral roll
  • going overseas temporarily and may not be able to vote in an upcoming electoral event, to request that you be excused from voting.

Elector of unsound mind

An elector may be removed from the Electoral Roll where a registered medical practitioner has certified in writing that the person is incapable of understanding the nature and significance of enrolment and voting. Contact the Commission for a copy of this form.